Right after my baby shower, Brandin and I went and got some last minute things, and then on the way home stopped and bought some castor oil. It worked for Carter, and I was done being prego. We came home and Brandin mixed it into a chocolate milk shake and I happily drank it down. About 2 hours later I threw it up (which had also happened with Carter) and my contractions had started, but were sporadic. By 1 am I got a hold of Laura and asked her if they would be willing to watch Carter if they got worse. By 3am they were hurting pretty bad, so we dropped Carter off and headed for the hospital. I was effaced to 80%, but only dilated just shy of a 4, and they wouldn't admit me until I hit a good 4. They kept me for observation and sent me home (after giving me a shot of morphine. First time I have ever had morphine. I felt great, but couldn't open my eyes because the world was spinning so bad. Don't think I ever want to go through that again) around 8 am and told me to come back when they were more consistent. We picked Carter back up and I slept thanks to the drugs. I woke up at 12 in a ton of pain so we dropped Carter off at church, and the Greens were going to take him home afterwards. Brandin's mom was on her way, but that was a 4 hour drive, and her van was having problems, so Daniel and Krystal drove separate and followed her to make sure she would make it safe. Brandin and I decided to go walking to see if we could speed the contractions up. Since it is winter, we decided to go to the mall. Totally forgot that we are in Utah and it is a Sunday, because NOTHING was open. Which is a great thing, but left me with nowhere to go walking. We ended up wandering bed bath and beyond, and every 5 minutes having to stop because I felt like I wanted to die. But the contractions were still not getting any closer, and I didn't want to be sent away from the hospital for a second time that day. We then went to Walmart to get some food for Brandin's family since they were getting in later than planned. I had a couple contractions that stopped me in my tracks and I could fell my face go bright red. I'm sure that the people there thought I was crazy! ha ha. We went back home, pulled up the same time as Brandin's mom, dropped off the food, and we were on our way. While driving to the hospital I made Brandin pull over because the bumps were awful. We made it to the hospital around 6 and were sent back to the room to get checked. They acted like I was going to get sent home again because they were still 5 min apart, but as soon as they checked me things got crazy. They started yelling that I was an 8, fully effaced, and if I wanted an epidural they needed to get it started now. I was the only one in the hospital that was in labor, so I got the full staffs attention and was taken to my room. I was given the epidural, and within minutes my water broke. Weirdest feeling ever! Unfortunately after about 20 min the epidural was working great in my legs, but not anywhere else. They went to ask the anesthesiologist if there was something that I could take, but the dr decided that I would already deliver before the drugs set in, and he had me start pushing. After 2 contractions and a couple pushes she was out. Oh my gosh! I know they say childbirth hurts, but I don't think that does it justice. It was the worst pain of my life and I just wanted to die. Glad that it didn't last to long, how do women who push for hours without drugs survive? Kenna came out purple, with the cord wrapped around her neck. The Dr's immediately went to work to help her, and I was able to hold her 15 minutes later. Thankfully I didn't know that the cord was wrapped around her neck until after the fact, or I would have been a nervous wreck. Can I just say that the after birth pains are a ton worse the second go around, but otherwise recovery was a ton better. Makenna Paisley Whiting was born Feb 2 at 8:36 PM. 20 inches long, 7 1/2 pounds. Thankfully Carter loves her and thinks she is so cute and little. I was worried that there would be sibling jealousy, but so far all he wants to do is hold her and look at her fingers and toes.
Brandin taking picts while I was having contractions.
First time holding her.
Carter's first time holding her. They came to visit at 10 that night, so Carter looks really tired. ha ha
No more pictures daddy!!
Getting ready to go home.
How on earth were you in Utah and the only one in labor?! That's crazy talk! On the other hand, congrats. I've had a dud epidural, completely natural, and a real epidural. They all were certainly different, but I will say I thought I was going to die with the first two. Its a good thing you get the best reward at the end of it.
ReplyDeleteGood thing she's so beautiful!
ReplyDelete